PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Go-around after engine failure in light twin
Old 30th Dec 2002, 20:46
CaptAirProx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With regard to formationfoto's C310 problem. So what if he landed it in an 800m strip. he has done it before so why not under the added stress of an engine out?

I fly and teach multi from 740ms grass. I've known this strip for years. I know the wind effects on approach and the visual clues on approach. A good thing to have when landing into blinding sun!

I would "prefer" to land a stricken aircraft capable of landing in there under those circumstances without shadow of a doubt. However I may want to land elsewhere for a hard runway if the gear is not symmetric or I needed massive emergency cover (unlikely).

I say thumbs up to the man.

Plus it can be commercially better to take the problem home. We have to weigh this up in all emergencies in the commercial world. And I would do to in a light twin. Its risk management. Nothing new there me thinks.

Someone asked me if my students get to see that a twin can fly a 3 degree ILS successfully. Well we don't have ILS. The students do and can fly the approach correctly. But as soon as they are on test or first circuit of the training detail, everytime I sit and watch the power never coming off the good engine until its too late! Maybe its my teaching, but I don't think so as most candidates from here there and everywhere show similar signs.

Regarding another comment re Aviate Navigate Communicate. yes I totally agree. And in most cases I would suggest that informing ATC soonest is low priority, particularly if your not on a published SID. However, all checks and drills completed and plan decided upon - why not tell air traffic so that there should be no reason to go around unless you cock it up yourself. Even at A/G airfields someone declaring their predicament usually gets the red carpet from the typical weekend ex wartime "I've flown for years let me cut you up" lot! Or indeed "I'm important and have a faster plan than you" brigade! Oh I just love weekends at A/G fields! hehe