PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB Comment in Clued Up
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2012, 10:45
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have seen no evidence (from a body such as the CAA - or proposals to amend Statute) that paper based charts and information is going to disappear.
That's because there isn't a legal requirement for them. See the last ten posts!
It's true that companies are moving towards paperless methods of disseminating information - however I think the burden for quite some time to come will be upon us as pilots having to print out for ourselves the paper copy that we need (to comply with the ANO) on the day.
See above!
It would (at present) be very hard to argue that a defence to an offence under an ANO was due to the electronic systems having failed and no paper back up was available
That's a more relevant point. However, if all your electronic systems have failed and you deem them necessary for the further safe and legal conduct of the flight, maybe it's time to start asking for help? Supposing your paper map ends up on the parcel shelf or under the seat in turbulence and there's no-one to go and get it for you? What then?
Have flown about 9000 hours with two FMC/FMGC and never (touch wood) had a double failure, nor on 1000 hours with twin INS, map has never failed in flight either although I have spilled my coffee once or twice.
About the same time with me, only have had several double failures (recovered eventually). The software that runs on these things has *known* bugs from 20-odd years ago that still haven't been fixed (or the airlines are too cheap to bother). Our manuals have a section devoted to possible anomalies...