PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB Comment in Clued Up
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2012, 10:28
peterh337

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm guessing the ANO rule that requires a current chart to be carried
Exactly.

I am not aware of any case law regarding this, anyway. Is there any?

One hears of cases in Germany over various odd stuff (like pilots getting done for making incorrect radio calls).

ISTM that carrying a current chart means little anyway, because you buy them once a year but almost immediately updates start to appear on some CAA website which 99% of pilots have never heard of.

So, together with the ICAO-compliant aviation data promulgation system (the AIP which contains e.g. CAS outlines as lat/long and I believe overrides the printed chart no matter how current the latter is, the notam system, and any NATS/CAA/Eurocontrol website carrying updates) the prosecution can always show that you flew with out of date data. I bet 100% of pilots fly with out of date data in some way - including 100% of BA crew departing LHR today.

A good lawyer would make a mockery of the CAA in a criminal court if they tried to nail you on some technicality to do with the "latest chart" because their is no "latest chart".

The only way to get the "latest chart" or "current chart" is

1 - buy the current chart
2 - go to the CAA amendments website and mark up any changes against 1.
3 - check all CAS etc coordinates in the AIP against 2. and mark up any discrepancies onto the chart
4 - get the notams and do the same on 3.

You would never get off the ground...

An approximation to the above is to fly with an AIRAC-updated electronic product (Jepp Flitedeck, Skydemon, PocketFMS, etc) but that only gets you 28 day updates which may not be good enough (see below).

Practically everybody just flies with the chart, and usually it will be the current one. Usually that is good enough, but not always: e.g. the change in transition altitude to 6000ft changed the FL055 LTMA to 5500ft, which is bad news if you fly at FL054 with a QNH of 1036 and didn't get around buying the new chart for a couple of weeks (how do I know that?)