PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Bomber Command" ITV1 Programme
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2012, 10:16
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
Leon and EA, the problem for BC was that it was overshadowed by the political groundswells of the end of the war. Allies became foes, enemies became friends. BC and Harris were both dropped like a hot potato, even by the RAF High Command! All of that is a comment of course on politicians and those who inhabit the firmament, not on the brave dedicated men and women of Bomber Command.
Even now, as other threads testify, this nation is still begrudging proper acknowledgement of the debt we all owe them. That is a comment on we all, not on them. Whatever amends might be made, I doubt if it can be done by the reissuing now of clasps, medals or stars. For better or worse that has been done, and all (though I take your point re your father's tardy award, EA) who were in a campaign, including the Bombing one, have received their appropriate star.
If a clasp to the 1939/45 star were to have been issued for BC aircrew instead, then I suggest that "Battle of Germany" would have been a more appropriate title, for was that not how Harris so described it?