PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2012, 00:35
Danny42C

Taphappy,

Considering how much time had gone by since I'd joined, it's remarkable how similar our experiences were - at least in the early days. Messed about from pillar to post - one Transit camp after another, nothing ever changes. You got three bob a day? - Jammy! - we had to get by on two. Never mind, when you get through ITW, you'll be in the money.

I liked the tale about the officious W.O. and the billiard room lights (It's not a digression, Tap (may I call you that); this is exactly the sort of detail which gives life to the story; the more of it, the better). But I agree with you, we had to see the point of view of some of these long serving W.O.s and SNCOs. They'd slogged slowly up the tradesman's ladder for perhaps fifteen years to reach the Sgts' Mess. Then along comes some 20 year old aircrew sprog with barely 12 months' service, and he's "in". It must have rankled with them.

Bridgenorth, did they select straight away for Nav or BA, or did you have a common ITW for the first part of the Course, and then split? But I'm jumping ahead of your story,

We're all standing by for the next part,

Danny.