PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Safety Magazine - The end of an era
Old 3rd Jul 2012, 23:54
Old Akro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got this final copy of FSA last night. I think the letter from John McCormack reveals some of what is wrong with CASA.

As I recall, the FSA magazine was implemented in response to criticism of CASA after a review of its activities. If I recall correctly, CASA was criticised for (at the time) having no flight safety feedback mechanism to pilots. So the old ASD concept was revived and implemented (in my opinion) poorly. So, now that FSD is dead, what is the saftety communication mechanism which replaces it? Aren't we just back to the same place on the hamster wheel prior to CASA being criticied at its next review about having no c=safety communication mechanism to pilots?

Secondly, I think this line illustrates that CASA just doesn't "get" its role: All Government agencies must prioritise the way they spend public monies (sic); in this case CASA is no different". Unlike other Government agencies, CASA operates in a user-pays environment. Its not " public monies" its our money, Ralph.

If CASA was sincere, the magazine would have been dropped after a review of its effectiveness and would be accompanied with a strategy to replace its function. Instead, one suspects, it was simply sacrificed as an easy way out to avoid the real work of management in achieving operating cost reduction through productivity improvement.