PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glamour gone
Thread: Glamour gone
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2012, 19:13
757_Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whilst i've no doubt it's not the career it once was, it's still a great career. Most people who moan about it, have never had another career and have no idea what 99% of the population have to do to make ends meet.
Had I been a cadet aged 18 I'd be sitting at BA on paypoint 24 now, probably on my 3rd barbie wife, and moaning about the crew food, however although I'm on paypoint 2, i feel fortunate a) to have such a great job and b) having experienced a 15 year professional career and 5 years flying for an 'interesting' airline.
Having done both of these, I view my current job with a different perspective to many others.
I don't work very hard (most of us THINK we work hard,but compared to most, no we don't), I have zero stress at home after work - during my previous career my brain did not switch of from work once in the whole 15 years - 24/7/365.
And my salary - even as junior trash is in the top 5% of all earners in the UK.

Is it as glamerous as it once was - probably not. Is it still a great option? Why not try doing the rat race for 10 years and then decide? Bet I know the answer!