PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thanks for the Landing
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2012, 12:54
Centaurus

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
here is a sample of PG Taylor at his most lyrical, for contrast, if you like. In his book about his years with the Sandringham (which he christened 'Frigate Bird 111') he described the take-off from Malta graphically -
Wonderful prose indeed. Another fine aviation writer was Len Morgan who wrote a monthly column for US Flying magazine. In the Introduction to his book "View from the Cockpit" he says this:

Flying plays on the emotions. It can be frustrating, fatiguing, terrifying - and most delightful. The pilot who has not been completely exasperated, dead on his feet, frightened witless, or enthralled beyond words has few hours in his log. His times will come. There is something to be said for work that leaves vivid recollections.
Once I flew copilot for a veteran finishing up his last week of a 37-year airline career. He soloed in the early 1920's, dusted cotton, barnstormed, and flew right seat in Fords with another airline before finding a home with us. He was a consummate pilot with 34,000 hours logged without scratching an airplane. He was also a great fellow to fly with.
As we took position on the runway and waited, looking down at the 10,000 feet of concrete ahead, I wondered how many times before he had done it. What was he thinking now?

I wanted to ask, but didn't. Perhaps he read my thoughts.
"You know, he said, "this is just as much fun now as it ever was. Can you understand that?"

I could.
............................................................ .......................................