PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Pilot 'Apprenticeship'
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2002, 14:39
Private jet

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
just to add my 2p's worth...
An apprenticeship is an important phase of training as it allows the development of experience with minimal risk. However the experience needs to be relevent...500 hours or whatever instructing on light aircraft, glider towing, para dropping etc I would argue bears little relevence to the skills required on the flightdeck of a modern airliner. It must also be remembered that a lot of "new starters" are under the burden of large financial debt these days, and the "traditional" positions, including flying night freight for niche carriers hardly pay enough to basically live on, let alone start loan repayments.
In times past many airlines had the rank of second officer for newly qualified recruits with limited experience. This allowed for the safe accumulation of relevent experience, and earning a reasonable salary to boot. This fell out of fashion with many airlines, but I believe it should now be looked at again.
I started out in aviation as an aircraft engineer, did a three year apprenticeship, and I worked on B747's from day one. Obviously new airline pilots cannot go straight to this, but are those advocating the light aircraft/turboprop route suggesting that I perhaps should have spent my apprenticeship fixing Ceesnas?
This is not a perfect analogy I know, but I just put it in to emphasise a point. I would venture that many advocates of the "slave trade" instructing/night freight route are only so keen to perpetuate it because that is the way they had to do it.
Professional piloting needs a professional, integrated training structure which I believe is sadly lacking at the moment.
Thankyou.