PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Strange problem using laptop in a 152 cockpit -interference?
Old 3rd Jul 2012, 10:29
RyanRs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange problem using laptop in a 152 cockpit -interference?

I have noticed a strange issue when trying to use my laptop in an aeroplane and wonder if anyone knows the cause?

Basically i am trying to film a bit of my flying in the 152 and i am using a Logitech HD webcam connected to a laptop. I use this method as it is cheap, effective and the webcam is the perfect size and shape to mount inside the 152, i simply cannot afford to spend £200 + on a aircraft specific camera.
Anyway, i have tested the laptop/webcam setup many times at home and in my car -even in my lorry at work! to which it works very well! however, when i set it up in the 152, get the camera positioned, sort the light levels and focus etc but as soon as i hit REC on the software, the program freezes! The first time it happened i just put it down to sods luck, computer having a moment and decided to try again another day, so i took it home, tested it again, all worked A Ok! set it all up in the aircraft again, hit REC and... frozen! program crashes again! i tried it 3 separate times now, even tested it outside the aircraft on the 3rd attempt to see if it was working and it was, but once inside that cockpit, the software refuses to comply!

Does anybody know what the cause of this could be?! the aircraft's master switch was off on all instances so no gyro spinnng or transponder active. What could this be!!? i am yet to try another laptop, shall do asap, but it does still seem odd that the software will record fine everywhere but in the aircraft cockpit!!

Any help appreciated

Many thanks
Ryan