PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Techniques for seeing the airfield?
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2002, 14:38
Fly Stimulator
Carbonfibre-based lifeform

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coke,

As you'll probably be calling up the airfields for PPR before you go, ask them for any local tips on how to find the place. For example, there's a lake near Sywell which is pretty easy to find. There's a bridge or causeway over that that points straight at the airfield which is a great help.

One thing I sometimes do before I go somewhere new is to look up the field at www.multimap.com and then switch to the aerial photo view. That can give you a reasonable idea of what the area looks like, though as FFF mentions, seasonal variations could affect how similar the scene looks when you go there.

The new photo scenery for Flight Simulator uses the same aerial photos, and I think it is now actually good enough to be of at least some use for getting an idea of what to expect when you go somewhere new.

Still, there are times when you just can't seem to spot an airfield no matter how hard you look, especially if your bladder capacity is approaching its design limit. At these moments it's quite handy to glance at the GPS