PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB Comment in Clued Up
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2012, 20:51
peterh337

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't disagree with you Pace in absolute terms but might differ as to the extent to which you perhaps portray TAA (tech advanced aircraft) pilots as morons

I do know some who do stupid things but the vast majority are clued-up people who took the time to get clued-up on their systems (to the extent possible in the rather crappy UK private flying training environment) and they fly safely. Most are successful business/prof people who are not stupid to start with.

The accident reports do not support any special high rate of prangs of people in nice shiny planes. In the USA there has always been a fairly obvious level of such, but then the GA scene out there is a lot more affluent and their GA infrastructure supports a level of utility flying which we don't have in Europe.

Most accident reports that show clear pilot error followed by a death show a pilot flying something fairly basic, who made a series of stupid decisions, possibly never got the wx, and ended up doing an "impossible" flight. Or the usual loss of control in IMC, or stall/spin stuff.

Straight CFITs are very very rare, as are accidents in "classical IFR" i.e. takeoff, sid, enroute, star, approach. The last CFIT I recall reading about was a PPL night instructional flight where deliberately no GPS was used, they did some dodgy (hurried) navaid fixes, some dead reckoning, and flew into slowly rising ground, at a small angle so amazingly both survived.

So as I say I don't see a pattern of muppets sticking the key into their G1000 equipped plane, taking off without a plan and crashing etc. Or if they do, they don't seem to have any trouble.

The biggest problem is a lack of training on nontrivial aircraft systems in the PPL but due to massive industry resistance this will never be addressed until a) the present GA fleet is largely scrapped and b) the CAA gets FEs to require a demo of competence on everything installed (like the FAA does). 20 years?

Ultimately this discussion leads to a call for a "TAA type rating" and I would say be careful what you wish for because you might get it. It isn't an ICAO requirement, probably because ICAO is still in the 1970s and GA systems have become very powerful in the last 10-20 years. The 1990s gear I fly behind is better than what a 747 had 30 years ago (INS, auto throttle and autoland excepted). Concorde looks positively jurrasic. Current gear (G1000 etc) is way better, with LPV (when that comes, ahem) etc. In the USA, the insurers have de facto forced this (mandatory type training) but the UK lags behind. In the CAT business this is dealt with in the TR so somebody with the TR maybe can't hand fly too well but he should know what the knobs in the 737 do.

So I just can't get excited about TAA pilots doing crazy things.