PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Non Aviation GPS unit as back up?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2012, 19:21
BabyBear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

It seems the practice of using non aviation GPS units is not as unusual as I had expected, even to the extent of the Etrex having been used.

It appears the sensible (workable and cost effective) option choice is either a micro SD with Skydemon (is this relatively easy to do?), or to dispense with the idea of buying a separate GPS for kayaking in preference to finding suitable apps for a phone. Having a Blackeberry at the moment will probably mean looking at something else, maybe an iphone?

Originally Posted by peter337
But frankly the best backup for a primary-use GPS is to have a second GPS that is actually usable. For a panel mount GPS you absolutely must carry a backup, in case of a total loss of electrics, and for that I use a G496, but really any similar unit will do fine and you can get a G296 fairly cheaply on Ebay etc.
Thanks Peter, I appreciate it makes sense to buy an aviation GPS to back up a primary aviation GPS, however as the main purpose of the new GPS unit is kayaking an aviation GPS would not meet my needs. I thought it may be an option to buy one suitable for kayaking that could function as an aviation GPS.

Originally Posted by Genghis
That said, if you can cheaply buy a waterproof housing for your smartphone, and possibly install an inexpensive aviation app on it - why not use that as a backup throughout. (Disregarding for a moment that generally there are only two directions on a river, and it's pretty hard to mistake which way you're travelling!)
Thanks Genghis, any recommendations on a reasonable aviation app? It's true there are generally only two directions one can travel on most narrow UK rivers, however the same is not true in the sea!

BB