PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Pilot 'Apprenticeship'
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2002, 11:13
Andy_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With the demise of turboprop fleets an added barrier to serving an "apprenticeship" in the UK, it is certainly the lack of air-taxi, bush flying, tourist flights etc that are available in other countries in the world, that makes it more difficult to gain experience. I do agree with Funkie when he says that SOME wannabees seem to think they have the automatic right to be considered for that RHS when fresh out of college. That is reserved for those fortunate enough to have gained a cadetship or other form of sponsorship, but IMHO I feel they are missing out by not climbing the ladder....... the same ladder that anyone has to climb, in ANY profession, to gain knowledge, seniority and experience. And most fun seems to be had in those early days in whatever career path you choose, even though the security and money come later on in your chosen career path.
It is also during this "apprenticeship" that you gain the respect, trust and confidence of your colleagues. I'm sure training captains must feel a similar way.

And the more competition there is out there, the more the ones who have done anything and everything to gain flying experience will have the competitive edge.

Those that languish in self-pity and sit believing that they have the right to fly RHS in a shiny jet fresh out of training will be the ones that are added to the list of statistics of unemployed fATPL holders.

My apologies for those that have done all the above and are yet to earn that RHS