PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB Comment in Clued Up
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2012, 14:37
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm still having difficulty with the assertion that having a GPS somehow makes things worse than not having one? Using anything remotely modern is like having the best navigator in the world sitting next to you and putting his finger on the map saying "we're here and going in this direction; oh, and watch out for the airspace over there".

Given the price of something like Skydemon on an iPad, compared with the hourly cost of even the lightest of light aircraft, there isn't really much excuse for not having the latest tech. Old Garmins from the nineties just don't cut it any more.

We are fast approaching the time where there won't be any NDBs or VORs. AFAIK the major charting companies like Jeppesen are planning to go all electronic in the very near future: no more paper charts, even if you want them.

I totally agree with Peter that GPS has initiated a huge positive change in the way we fly. No longer do we need to wrestle with maps, congregate like flies around ground-based navaids and take fright when we mistake Little Snoring for Little Gransden. There's more capacity for looking out, checking the aircraft state and (gasp!) actually having fun!

Slightly off topic, as per the last post but one:

I've been soaring for a long time and you would not believe the crap we had to go through to get our gliding badges and prove what we had done in competitions. It started with ground observers at every turning point, then graduated to barographs (to prove you hadn't landed and taken off again) and cameras (to prove you been to wherever you were meant to go). The aerobatics and near accidents that went on when 50+ gliders, all coming from slightly different directions, tried to take pictures of somewhere they'd never been to before, as close to vertically overhead as they could make it... Blimey, I don't know how I survived.

Now, it's secure GPS data-loggers integrated with moving maps, FLARM (TCAS for gliders), ADS-B, you name it. It's all about soaring skill now rather than photography, compass navigation, map reading, etc. Not that these aren't skilled endeavours in their own right but they are peripheral to the sport itself and not, IMHO, an integral part of it. Same goes for power flying.