PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB Comment in Clued Up
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2012, 12:25
flybymike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no issue with somebody pretending to be like their grandfather. It's easy. Go to your pilot shop, buy a £500 leather jacket, the leather cap, goggles, even a jump suit. Run your Jag over your map a few times so it looks well creased (and over the jacket too). Read the Flypast magazine. I have absolutely no issue with that. Traditional aviation is absolutely fine. Like plane spotters, it has its place. WW2 pilots even sometimes managed to find Berlin from the UK (unsuprisingly most couldn't though; only the really good ones could so they got them to fly ahead). But don't tell me it is the best way to navigate to places in which you don't know the sheep by their first names, because it isn't. It's a crap error-prone high-workload way to do it, and the "establishment position" is without doubt largely responsible for why most new PPL holders are totally sh*t scared of flying further than down the coast, and chuck away the £10k they paid for that piece of paper without ever really using it.
This has to be Peter at his most amusingly irascible and finest. These Russki spies can be most entertaining.