PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB Comment in Clued Up
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2012, 11:13
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There might be scope for a bit of research on how people acquire situational awareness and how the use, or not, of technology affects that. As an example, I suspect many PPL's take a very long time to gain awareness of the position of other traffic from listening to radio exchanges. I know I did.
There was an RAF study carried out on fast jet pilots. Basically we all have different minds best described as a computer. Some computers have high powered Graphic cards with a lot of onboard memory for dealing with fast high graphic games others do not have fast Graphic cards but may have more storage ability in the computer.
Like the computer load the system too much and it falters and stalls while the fast computer can take a lot more visual information coming in.
How does the pilot with a low powered visual card improve? He has to make sure he has more information stored in the main memory banks freeing up the Graphic Card to deal with purely visual information.
The pilot with the fast Graphic card can work that card harder with loads of visual information.
its how we are put together do you have a recollective or visual brain?
You would never make some pilots into fast jet pilots and you wont make some fast jet pilots into brain of britain but you can train yourself to do better in either area.

There are tests which can be carried out to see how much visual information your brain can take in and there is a vast difference between people.
I am sure we have all experienced driving a car and being deep in thought about something on your mind and then realising you have driven several miles and do not remember one corner you have driven through? 2 parts of your mind running different functions.
Your Graphics card takes over driving the car while your thoughts are deep in the memory banks of your brain.

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 2nd Jul 2012 at 11:28.