PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Remote Area Survival
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2002, 09:54
Thermal Bandit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Guys and Gals,

We have a lot of talk about survival, as if you are going to be out there for days, or weeks. Some of you are recalling survival camps from your AIRTC days etc, they were fun, they separated the wheat from the chaff, and we learnt a lot about others, and ourselves but are they realistic in 2002/2003.

The reality today is if you have survived the forced landing or crash, and you have been able to make a Mayday call with your position and/or activate your beacon, help should be no more than 12 hours away, given worst case scenario on the Australian mainland, provided the weather and associated conditions do not make it to dangerous for rescue crews. Survival of any injured, and moral will be far more significant than long-term survival.

If you were unable to transmit your distress situation, your situation will be vastly different. Who knows where you are or what you are doing. Where will search crews search, what will be the delay between your incident and someone raising the alert? This will depend on how good your sarwatch system is. Some of you may use Censar, others company, others family or friends, who cares, provided it works.

As an active cross country glider pilot I always depart prepared to land in a paddock miles from where I want to be, so short term survival following a remote landing is part of my planning. Prior to departure I always make sure that my crew know where I am going, and report to them every hour, my sarwatch system is sound. I always carry my beacon in a trouser pocket. I also carry a cycling backpack with my “Out landing” supplies. These include 2 lts of water in a build in hydration pack, a St Johns “Hikers” first aid kit (which includes a very light space blanket), food for at least one light meal, no complex sugars, mobile phone, handheld VHF radio, warm jacket, a strobe light, and a good book. I also have a GPS, which I would have been using in the glider, and spare batteries, and on my key ring, a miniature Maglight torch (solitaire). This package is so complete and self-contained I also use it when I am flying power.

As a said in an earlier post, your survival preparation will depend on where you are and what you are doing. Having seen some of the recent “Survivor” programme on T.V where personalities seem to dominate, do you fancy a night in the “GAFFA” with some of your recent passengers? The sooner you’re out of there the better.

Last edited by Thermal Bandit; 30th Dec 2002 at 10:06.