PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Distracted crew let Q400 descend towards terrain
Old 2nd Jul 2012, 09:11
haughtney1

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A few points of interest..rebuttal if you will.

my take on Haughtney's post was that he supports his compnay's policy.
Then your take Capt is incorrect, I neither support nor am vehemently opposed to the policy, I do however understand the rational and the mindset behind such a policy.
Do I think it causes an erosion in flying skill? yes most definitely, do I think flt Ops managers believe this as well? for the most part yes, but statisically speaking, the various regulators, risk managers, manufacturers and guys who run company SMS and flight safety programmes consisently produce data that drive these policies in the first place.
As a matter of fact I hand-flew an approach into an Australian airport a little while back after getting back to my seat and feeling well rested, it was day VMC and the gusty crosswind was near my company limit, I felt it was safer and more appropriate than using automation and disconnecting at 1000 AGL with a handlful of aeroplane.

738 Drvr

You completely miss the point here. But that's ok, whatever works for you. In my company raw data / hand flying flying is not encouraged either, and nowhere in the SOP's will you find any recommandation to practise FD off/ AT disconnected approaches.

It does not mean that pilots are not responsible to maintain their flying skills. Hand flying is not to be practised in the sim (poor saoul, I wish I never heard that), but is on the line. It does not matter if you have 400 or 200 or 2 passengers in the back, they would still expect the pilots able to handle a non normal when the situation arises. It does not matter if you have 1, 2 or 3 autopilots, automation is dangerous when used as a replacement of your basic stick and rudder skills. The AF447 is just a one of the examples, but there are many more out there.
Actually, I get the point entirely, the difference is, if I disconnect an A/T, or turn off a FD without a bloody good reason, I will find myself in the chief pilots office for coffee and dates in fairly short order, and if I trott out the line " I was just doing it to maintain my profficiency" I will be shown the door in fairly short order.
Now can I fly a rate 1 turn and not gain or lose 50 feet? yep, I certainly can, can I manually fly a CAT 1 ILS in raw data to minimums? yes I can do that too, I use bullet proof techniques that equate to flying the jet by numbers, in fact thats what I base my whole operation on, pitch and power..simples.

Absolute rubbish. Had the PF been practiced at hand flying at high altitude he in all probability would not have pulled the nose up so much and stalled the thing in the first place!
Bloggsy, one last thing, if your company lets you hand-fly up at high alt, more power to you, if I tried that, it would be do not pass go, do not collect 200 whatevers and here is your resignation letter to sign.