PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Goodwood rip-off!!!
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2012, 07:15
maxred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a shame for myself and others have decided that this is a charge too far in these days of increasing costs, leaving this event to the very well heeled.
I understand what you mean, but I would venture that those who are fortunate to own and operate an aeroplane, particularly a Saratoga, would, in relative terms, be classed as well heeled. I would hope that in owning and operating an aeroplane, comes some intelligence, and some savvy about life.

We therefore can look objectively at a proposal and decide, if it seems fair, or not. In this instance the charge of 50 quid a seat, does not, in my view, seem reasonable value. It is not after-all, that the spending stops after the landing charge. I would be travelling to the event from Scotland, a lot of fuel, an overnight stay, and a 200 quid fee, all to begin with

Having not been to the event, but would like to, there would be no way that I would just try it, not at these levels of cost. I might not enjoy the event. I would have considered making the event free to anyone flying in, perhaps linked to a meal or hotel stay. There are lots of methods to smooth the cost.

It is obviously their jurisdiction to charge what they feel is appropriate. If they get a great turnout, superb, more money for them. If someone looks at the numbers, and revenue is down, then they have damaged themselves, and longer term that just might become an issue.