PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Go-around after engine failure in light twin
Old 30th Dec 2002, 09:08
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What an excellent thread! Keep it up, guys!

With my incredible 5 hours of multi-engine time, I'm not in much of a position to be able to add to a superb debate. However, I would like to add one thing: from the (relatively small) selection of types that I've flown, I have learnt that you can never make general statements that apply to all aircraft in all cases.

From what I've read, and from my limited experience, multi-engine aircraft don't climb well on a single engine. And if you're at anything other than blue-line speed, they won't climb at all. This is the general case, but I certainly wouldn't go so far as to apply it to a particular aircraft on a particular day, because I don't know the aircraft concerned. If I regularly flew a multi-engined aircraft, I'd make sure that I knew what kind of single-engine performance I can expect from that aircraft, in the forecast weather conditions, and at the expected weight, on the day I was flying it.

To say that light twins can't go around from two hundred feet, or that they can go around from two hundred feet, on one engine is very brave..... to make such a statement about a specific type is a little more sensible, but it only really makes sense to make a comment like that about a specific aircraft, and even then only on a specific day.

FFF
-----------