PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glasses or Contact lenses?
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2002, 08:30
GordonBurford

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaking as someone whos eyes have been pretty well FUBAR'D by an infection carried by a contact lens, i'd say go Specs! I've used both, and my vision is noticably better with specs in terms of focus and accuity, but the field of vision is restricted when wearing them.

When I was being treated for my infection I was sent to Morefields eye hospital and I actually asked if contact lenses were okay. The good professor told me to look at the people working there, and bare in mind that those who didn't wear glasses probably had perfect vision. As he pointed out, it's a foreign body in the eye.

That having been said, I had the kind you soak overnight in Peroxide to disinfect, then in saline to neutralise the peroxide. Maybe if i'd had the "new ones every time" kind I wouldn't have got in infection in the first place?

As people have pointed out, Glasses do restrict your vision considerably. Especially the modern lightweight ones with smaller lenses. I notice this when driving, but this can be compensated for by having larger specs (Man at Swinton insurance style).