PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2012, 16:56
Linktrained

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sim Shocks
Reading a number of PPRuNe threads it would appear that Simulators are used by a number of different airlines in different ways.
One pilot commented that he had done the same series of routine checks on TWENTY different occasions.
China Airlines use them to keep their F/Os in flying practice, because with their 747SPs flying their very long sectors ( which require four pilots) it must mean that each pilot would only have a limited number of opportunities of T/O or Landings available per month.

There were some interesting contributions by FRYBURG on 8th June on the Humbling Sim Experience thread.

I have never used/ seen a Simulator - they were not around, then !

I read of one where to keep the pilots alert, having found that the airfield was not getting closer at something like the right G/S, one found that the
B737 was on short finals for an aircraft carrier.

I might have been better with a " F/O Dead Drill", a one hour hold at Nantucket before landing at JFK. ( The F/O had been flooded with R/T from the replacement ATControllers, due to their industrial action. I took him to a briefing place before departure. He was all right.)

A Simulator Check of "Engine failure on Overshoot" before it happened to me would have helped on a heavy twin. My Chief Pilot said that "It had never happened before..." Two months later it happened again... To a different crew, who were killed. After that, that system was switched OFF, except for heavy T/Os.

Last edited by Linktrained; 1st Jul 2012 at 18:11.