PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fixed-wing or Rotary career? (incl Changing licence to Rotary)
Old 1st Jul 2012, 10:54
Clintonb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Commercial add on

Hi everyone.

I have a few questions that i hope you can help answer for me. im thinking of doing my Commercial helicopter add on. i got a commercial fixed wing with IR and been looking into some schools in the US as i hold a FAA license and still cant figure out whether you need to take the instrument add on or not.

some schools when i look at the break down of the commercial add on course it already has 5hrs instrument dual put in the course but then i speak to other schools they say no you need an instrument add on if you want to fly in IMC..

So do i need to also take the instrument add or are they trying to sell me another course that i don't need.???

another thing from what i understand and have heard from speaking to helicopter pilots not in the states but in other parts of the world is that an instrument rating in the rotary world wont do you any good for now unless you flying twin engine helicopters as you not permitted to fly single engine helos in IMC..

thanks very much for your time and look forward to seeing what you guys have to say.

safe flying