PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying school - grubby little trick
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2012, 22:56
Tiger35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honored Certificates

Back in the mid 70's the Whittlesea Flying School conducted a promotion at Northland Shopping Centre giving away TIF type gift vouchers with a purchase within the centre. Their aim was to increase club membership and train more pilots.

Two mates and I, all keen and opportunistic Air Training Corp cadets, purchased enough of the needed product, probably model aircraft from Toyworld, to be rewarded with several TIF vouchers.

When we approached the flying school with the number of vouchers we had they were taken aback a little but never once tried to wiggle out of their committment.

The three of us enjoyed a tour of Port Philip Bay and the area around Whittlesea with landings at a couple of airfields for us to swap seats and take turns up front. The flight was well over two hours and was sensational and inspirational.

Unfortunately for the flying school none of us did any flying training with them, due to other opportunities and career paths back then. Whilst the flying school did not gain any benefit from our endeavours, they engendered a large degree of respect from us and a hell of a lot of enthusiasm for flying. All three of us have enjoyed long careers in the aviation industry.

Whenever I hear about TIF gift vouchers I wonder why a flying club would take the risk for the odd chance of gaining a member or student.

Last edited by Tiger35; 30th Jun 2012 at 23:00.