PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - John King talks about their Cessna 210 crash.
Old 30th Jun 2012, 22:27
maxred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two years ago I had a full electrical failure at 7500'. My wife and two kids were aboard. We were mid transit, and I was surprised at how quickly it all unfolded. I was fortunate in that an airfield lay on the nose, however as all started to fail in a dominoe effect my first thought was get on the ground. I commenced a spiral descent, pulled the speed back and dropped the gear. Shortly after I got the three greens, these lights went out also. Again, I was fortunate in that whilst hazy, there was no cloud cover and I was able to keep the airfield in my my circuit as we came down. At about 1500 we spotted an aircraft taking off, this gave me the wind direction, and I came onto final with him, climbing out. Flapless landing, on a reasonable tarmac surface. It ended well, however, very conscious that it could have been very different.

Looking back, I was happy with my decision making, however, the alt belt had detached in flight, and I did have a red alt light about 30 minutes before it all started to go. I had continued with that light on. I sometimes wonder about that.