PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Video issues with U-Tube, et al
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2012, 16:08
Bern Oulli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Video issues with U-Tube, et al

A problem has recently reared its head regarding playing of videos such as those often embedded in Pprune threads, Youtube, and vids embedded in on-line newspapers, Yahoo News etc.

The 'puter normally uses Firefox, currently version 13.0.1, is running 64 bit Vista (I know!) and until a few days ago had no problem. Now, at least half, but not all, Youtube videos refuse to play, giving just a blank black rectangle, sometimes with a message to the effect that the video is "unavailable". Embedded videos on Prune and elsewhere just show a blank white rectangle. If I use IE (I'd rather not) same result except that a small place-holder appears in the rectangle. Now for the peculiar bit. While Gargling the problem, there was mention of Gargle Chrome. Not having that I downloaded it and - Result. All videos, wherever they are, play perfectly. They still do not on FF or IE. Yes I have downloaded the latest version of Flash Player. I have made no changes to cookies or anything else, so any thoughts would be appreciated. I really really do not want to stay with Chrome longer than I have to.