PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK NPAS discussion: thread Mk 2
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2012, 12:44
Helinut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Morris,

I am not sure how much you know about down south. Aeromys will no doubt give you his views, but let me provide some historical background.

For many years Hampshire had a plank. I hesitate to comment further, but let me say that whenever neighbouring police helicopters provided air support to Hampshire for active jobs, it was always welcomed by the troops on the ground.

The plank has gone. Because they were forced out of their base at Fairoaks by a number of attacks on the aircraft by crims, Surrey AOU moved to RAF Odiham in Hampshire a few years ago. The Surrey and Sussex heles (at Shoreham) provide cover for a SE area consortium [Surrey/Sussex/Hampshire], so it is almost fortuitous that the Surrey hele is located in Hampshire. I believe the plan under NPAS will be to have only one base: the latest I heard it would be at Redhill in Surrey, which would have its own problems if it was to come to pass.

So you are right that Hampshire and CC Marshall has never run a helicopter. If anyone wanted to defend his position as the Air lead they might mention he used to work in Thames Valley.