PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK NPAS discussion: thread Mk 2
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2012, 12:27
Helinut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tried to publish a link to the article, but was not able to. You normally get it by subscription.

I did read the article. From my recollection it was pretty much the NPAS "party line" given by Ollie to the journo.

I think we need to be realistic about the importance of this issue to others. It remains a niche interest, as PANews suggests. The aviation world as a whole could not care less. The UK police world has so many balls in the air, and they don't know what is going to hit them next. Some in the police may believe the NPAS propaganda at the moment: not everyone understands how police aviation had been optimised. Mostly politicians just want to make cuts.

One of the most hopeful audiences seemed to me to be those bidding to be future police commissioners. Whatever you may think of the idea of commissioners, it would be good to try and make use of them at this stage. They will all be very keen to please at present because they will want votes in November. Given what they are supposed to do once elected, you would hope they would want to represent their local police force interests. If it could be suggested to them that NPAS will produce inferior police air support for their police force, they may be prepared to raise questions about the NPAS steamroller. I recall a candidate for the Bedfordshire job had been opposing the closure of the Henlow base and removal of their aircraft in the media. That would be a good example, given the vast hole in coverage that will be opened up if Henlow goes.