PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Return to Yesterday - The Pacific War.
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2012, 02:54
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In the early 90s I carried a lot of vets, jounos and tourists to various battlefields in PNG for 50th anniversary visits/ceremonies.

I bought one group back from Kokoda to Moresby after they had walked the Kokoda Trail from Moresby. It was a group of younger people, including some journalists in their mid 20s, and one older chap. This 'older chap' was amazing - well into his 70s - the last time he walked the track was as a Digger in 1942!!

The tour leader told me that the journos were a pretty cynical left wing bunch and their attitude to this old gentleman (and his fallen comrades/ WW2 in general) was pretty awful at the beginning of the 8-9 day walk over the Owen Stanley Ranges. By the time they wearily trudged into Kokoda they clearly had developed a deep respect, bordering on love, for the wiry old fella. At various times he had carried their packs as well as his own as they found the going too hard.

Clearly they had received a lesson in courage, stoicism and character that hopefully has stayed with them and resisted the cynical attitudes of their peers.

The old guy just blew me away. He oozed an inner calm and dignity from every pore. The definition of 'gentleman'.

I said to him "I hear you been teaching the journos a thing or two about history?"

He just smiled a grandfatherly smile "They're young"

Last edited by Chimbu chuckles; 30th Jun 2012 at 02:58.