PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBC snub Bomber Command Memorial
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2012, 17:36
Albert Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's much more interesting is to discuss what the correct solution would have been, and this is a matter of opinion. I get the feeling that my audience here is mainly retired and serving RAF officers, their friends and families, and associated people, a largely male, upper-middle-class group likely to be the most tolerant of a four-hour lecture on the small boats of Britain. Nevertheless, I suspect if you'd seen it, you would probably have complained that it was a bit dull and failed to make the most of the situation, and you'd have been right.
Each and every one of those Dunkirk boats had a story to make your hair stand on end if it were told properly. Dull they are not. The fact is the presenters couldn't be bothered to read the histories of the boats and make something of them. Raymond Baxter would have been in his element with something like this and his enthusiasm would have captured the most ordinarily disinterested viewer. That is what a professional presenter is supposed to do.

And that is what is missing in the culture of the current generation of BBC presenters.