PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Return to Yesterday - The Pacific War.
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2012, 13:58
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
turn the house upside down to find that book by William Manchester ( Death of a President, American Caesar, and others) that he wrote after he revisited his old Marine battlegrounds in about '78 or '79
It was called "Goodbye Darkness" and what a rivetting story he told. I suspect that some writers of that era may not recollect events of those time accurately and may not realise it either.
I am sure Amazon will have his book. One of the greatest books of all and which was never published in Australia, was "Alone on Guadalcanal" by the British coast watcher on Guadalcanal, Martin Clemens. He kept a daily diary and after the war wrote his book. I met him 12 years ago and he told me he could not find a publisher back in 1950 as he was told there were hundreds of war books on the market. His book is now on Amazon.

It was only in 1998 when the US Marine Association asked him for the manuscript that the book received the recognition it so richly deserved. The book is available on Amazon. He died in Melbourne in May 2009.

Last edited by Centaurus; 29th Jun 2012 at 14:01.