PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When practicing vortex ring.........
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2012, 09:30
Burr Styers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As someone who has experienced VR for real, in the "I learnt about flying from that" bracket, I'll share this with you. My circumstances were coming to a free air hover, at around 2000ft agl, at near mauw, in a light 5 seat military helicopter. Was in a bit of a hurry to get back "in position" following a racing re-fuel. So quite a bit of flare to get the speed off, lever coming up, and all sort of coming together for that, free air, Hi-Hover feeling. Suddenly the VSI went south, the ASI started going the wrong way round the dial, and I had a horrible sinking feeling. The two things I did, in this order, was to dump the lever fully, and apply an awful lot of fwd cyclic.

The vsi passed 2000fpm and the response from the cyclic input seem to be taking forever, But eventually the airspeed did start to build - slowly. Once I had got 30 knots indicated, I carefully raised the collective, and fell it starting to bite, and the cyclic (following a test wiggle) was also alive again. I bottomed out, climbed back up, and got back into position a very shaken (shaking) person.

I fell vertically over a thousand feet, and recovered in the next few hundred. It wasn't big, and it definitely wasn't clever.

If you want to practice this, please do it from several thousand feet, over a completely flat, empty, "run on" friendly area. (And not the densely populated - full of baddies place that I did) Also consider the proximity and availability of the emergency services, whose expertise with shovels and brooms may well be of use.

Stay safe

BS