PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Creaking / cracking during ascent phase - symptom of metal fatigue?
Old 29th Jun 2012, 09:06
old,not bold

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
However, we both know that things aren't always done up to Western standards here,
Let's just stop that one right in its tracks. This kind of complacent, xenophobic rubbish is what allows many "Western" civil air transport operators AND regulators to get away with some of the worst practices in the world.

I have worked all around the world except Africa, including 15 years in the Gulf, 3 of which were in Oman, and my experience is that generally speaking standards are as good or better in most of the countries you would consider as "non-Western" whatever that stupid generalisation is supposed to mean. I was involved in setting up the Oman register and then working under its jurisdiction for 3 years or so, and its standards were then and are now as good as or better than many "Western" regulators.

In the Gulf, especially, much of the work is done and/or certified by contracted, experienced "Western" engineers.

I don't know about Africa; there is obviously evidence suggesting that some States are unable/unwilling to operate and regulate to ICAO standards.

By contrast I have seen operational and maintenance practices in the UK, Europe and USA which would put any State to shame. And they continue unchecked, in Europe at least, while the regulator (EASA, who else) creates an ever-increasing mountain of paper and ineffectual, process-driven, bureaucratic, fluffy oversight.

In the UK, the CAA is now a self-serving "Agency" obsessed with generating revenue to sustain itself and its employees' generous pay and conditions, which seems to have lost all contact with the realities of aviation safety, as bad (ie unsafe) practices continue in its "customers".

Is that what you mean by "Western standards", I wonder? I could show you a few "Western standards" - within 5 miles of LHR T5 - that would make your hair curl, if you had any idea of what you are talking about.

Last edited by old,not bold; 29th Jun 2012 at 13:50. Reason: Spelling error!