PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRS in a twin
Thread: BRS in a twin
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2012, 21:56
007helicopter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On top of that for those who feel they are lacking in basic skills I suggested honing those skills so they are more confident.
Pace, I think the only person you suggested that to was myself, can I be really clear here as I did not respond properly earlier.

I do NOT feel I lack the basic skills, I do NOT lack confidence, I have made an informed judgement that in general on an off airport landing in a Cirrus my chances of survival of myself and my passengers is greater if I use BRS.

Reaching a suitable field is the easy part, once touching down and not having a further incident is the tricky part with many examples of death and botched landings due to flipping and hitting things due to an unknown surface.

Put a Cirrus down in a crop, boggy field or hit a tree stump at the speed required to land and you have a reasonable chance of hurting yourself and PAX.

In a helicopter I regularly do practice forced landings with no engine power to the ground, because this is the only option. This takes a certain amount of skill and confidence so please do not make out that this is my reason for using the BRS chute as a cop out to a forced landing , it is not.

Last edited by 007helicopter; 28th Jun 2012 at 22:17.