PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New LST/LPC SPA forms
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2002, 17:07
BEagle

Received 328 Likes on 115 Posts
New LST/LPC SPA forms

I note from the 'General Guidance' for the new 'SPA, Skill Test and Proficiency Check Schedule - Examiner's Record' (Form SRG\1157), the following statement:

M Mandatory for the Test/Check. Any of the 'O' items may be tested at the examiner's discretion

How does one interpret that? For example, would one Examiner conducting a SEP revalidation proficiency check decide to use his/her 'discretion' in not testing any of the 'O' items whilst another would insist on testing all of them?

'O' items:

1.1 Pre-flight including Documentation, Mass and Balance, Weather Briefing.

1.6 Take-off procedures - Normal with Flight Manual flap setings.

1.8 ATC liaison - Compliance, R/T procedure

2.1 Straight and level flight at various airspeeds including flight at critically low airspeed with and without flaps.

2.5 (Same as 1.8 - word for word)

4.4 Crosswind landing (if suitable conditions)

4.5 Approach and landing with idle power up to 2000' above the runway. (I assume that translates as 'A glide approach'!)

4.8 See 2.5 and 1.8!!

5.4 Simulated emergencies:

(i) Fire or smoke in flight
(ii) Systems malfunctions as appropriate

5.6 See 4.8.....and 2.5.....and 1.8!!!

I also note that 'Rejected take-off (at a reasonable speed) is now a mandatory test item (5.1).

Now fair enough to produce the new form, but what is behind the idea of Examiners having 'discretion' over items to test? It doesn't really make for good standardisation, in my opinion.