PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRS in a twin
Thread: BRS in a twin
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2012, 19:47
paulp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pace --

100kph? Thought we talked in Kts
You must have the only car I know of that is marked in knots. My car is in mph but since you live in a more enlightened country I used kph.

As for the scenario you mentioned you have a good imagination. It is all about likelihood. Imagine doing a forced landing and hitting someone (like the Lancair hitting the guy running on the beach) and then being asks why you didn't pull and come down in a way where people could avoid you. The fact is that there have been numerous uses of BRS and I don't know of one instance of a person on the ground being injured.

The thing about the BRS system is that it is an adder. It is one more thing available. Your argument about being sued over choice is no different than being sued because you chose emergency landing spot A over B and A resulted in someone getting injured.

You seem to think that all FL's turn out great. I think the data is that about 80% are survived but of that 80% there are many with severe injuries.

You also seem to think that FL's don't injure people on the ground. Where I live a person in a car was killed by a plane making an emergency landing on the road the car was on.

BRS is no magic bullet. Pilots still need to maintain the ability to do a good FL. I am just surprised at the resistance of the flying community to another tool at their disposal.