PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Go-around after engine failure in light twin
Old 29th Dec 2002, 15:43
Rumbo de Pista

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A and C,

You wrote:

So this having been said you have to pick a height at which you can clean the aircraft up while trading height for speed and then climb away at blue line speed this height is not likley to be much below 600ft AGL (for pilots new to twins) now that is about 350 ft above an ILS DH so if you have a cloud base below 600ft then you are landing at the wrong airfield.

and I'm sorry but you're wrong.

First, you won't, I hope, trade height for speed. You will dissipate your energy differently, perhaps, but to say you're trading one for the other gives the wrong impression.

Second, and more importantly, aviation safety relies upon statistical analysis of risk, and the probability of an engine failure occurring during the approach between 600ft and 250ft is so low, that it may be disregarded. Put it another way, if we addressed hazards at similar risk levels, we would never fly.

So what to do if you are on the approach into Cat 1 conditions and an engine fails at less than ACH but above DH? Well, depending upon the aircraft, you're certainly going to use lots of power, and rudder, you might retract some flap, but what you MUST do is continue to fly the approach accurately, whilst forgetting about DH. If Cat 1 RVR existed at the approach ban position, I am happy to guarantee that you will see the runway and lights in good time to land on it. I generally teach this drill in VMC, using the screens, and withdrawing them at 100ft or so. Everyone I've trained in this manner has landed safely.

So, there is nothing wrong, legally or practically, in operating a light twin into a destination on Cat 1 limits. (Indeed, I used to operate a light single to those limits, but do so no more alas - I wouldn't feel bad about doing so again!).

On accelerate-stop distances, I'm not certain that these need be specifically considered for a private operation? Again, an 'operator' might choose to acept that he cannot prove the accelerate-stop case (and that he will crash in these unlikely circumstances), but does so in order to derive safety benefits from flying a twin-engine aircraft. There would be no requirement to prove accelerate-stop in a single, after all...