PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomber Command Memorial
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2012, 12:33
WHBM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
.... but I did break away to watch the ceremony on TV.

Bit of a shame the live presentation was on BBC News rather than BBC1 but I presume everyone now has all the channels.

BBC have obviously taken on board all the stick they got about the Jubilee presentations, this was a much more straight-laced and tighter presentation. Still could have done with a bit more about the aircraft, you almost got the impression that the commentator thought the same (references to "what really interests these old chaps is the aircraft") and he would have welcomed more briefing. However they were spot in in picking up whoever HM was speaking to, architect, sculptor of the figures, etc.

The Tornado five-some was a welcome extra flypast and the co-ordinated right turn was picked up spot-on from behind by the BBC helicopter.

Lancaster came over and dropped the red petals. Now then, old skydiver in me coming out but did these drop a bit short of the DZ ?

The service was in progress from the platform, facing south, interleaved with all this going on, and you don't get much forewarning as the aircraft come over the buildings in Piccadilly, so split-second timing essential. An amusing moment was when whoever the Top Banana was who was ending his section was speaking, he must have heard the Lanc's engines, did a sudden eyes-left and saw the aircraft come over The Ritz, and rapidly gabbled his last sentence

I didn't hear mention of Robin Gibb but didn't get to see it all. As I mentioned earlier, there was indeed reference to the supply drops into the Netherlands in 1945, and some from there were attending the ceremony.

I'll go and check it out at the weekend.