PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Remote Area Survival
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2002, 13:46
the wizard of auz
Bugsmasherdriverandjediknite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

I spend nearly all my time in the hot middle bit of auz and have found that a little bit of local knowledge will stand you far better than a huge survival kit. the main thing out here is Water, if you have water, the chances of survival increase dramatically.
you should carry at least two litres per person, if going into the middle bit, and if you can get a few of the locals to take you bush with em, you will be supprised where they find water.......It WILL save your life if you get stuck.
I have had to spend a few days here and there in the bush due to all sorts of things and have found that the basic rules will keep ya going for a while, stuff like staying with the wreck, if you do have to move leave a note, and move in the cool of evening, carry a bit of plastic around with ya (solar still), carry a container for filling at windmills and water holes if your lucky enough to find any, having an Idea where to look for water and food is a good plan..... I have survived for a couple of weeks eating good tucker like lingees, karlgoorla, mingas, karlya eggs, sandle wood nuts, young kurrujong roots and trapping the odd meat animal and getting water from places like kurrujong roots gnamma holes, tree hollows, solar still, and a miriad of other places. these things, if learned, will stand you in good stead if you ever get stuck. Many of these things can be "country specific" but things like looking for water in deep creeks by digging and learning what animals will lead you to water or what type of pads (eg cattle are great at leaving very well defined paths) will lead you to water will pretty well do alright anywhere in the dryer bits of Auz. these things can be taught to you by the local Aboriganies, and they are usually more than happy to show you stuff like this. You blokes out on the camps should be learning this in ya spare time as it can save ya and ya pax.
Oh, and as IJ said, a couple of spare packets of smokes are handy, it will give ya somthing to do while ya waiting to get rescued