PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Changes to departure reports
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2012, 03:50
Nautilus Blue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I gave up trying to understand the logic of phraseology when they changed "leave control area on descent" to "leave control area descending" to improve safety, but here goes

But isn't the whole point behind the new reports that they will have you on their screen anyway? No need to give a distance etc. I would think, only a need to verify your altitude.
The location reference aerodrome seems to be a double check to make sure what we see on the screen is you. Feels like a throwback to the days when ATC gave you a position when identified.

Estimate also seems redundant. Most of the time I won't enter a pilot estimate anyway in theses circumstances. I don't need it and as often as not it will be revised at TOC anyway.

The useful part is level passing for Mode C verification, but a lot of our regular operators have been giving that in their departure reports for years anyway.

If the aim was to save us and pilots time, the phraseology would simply be "ABC passing (current level)". I know where you are and what level you planned and I don't need an estimate.