PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Distracted crew let Q400 descend towards terrain
Old 28th Jun 2012, 02:58
Squawking PAX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As an SLF I have read PPRuNe for years but never commented - not my place to get in the way perhaps. However, this time.

OK, this forum does have its share of un-informed or un-thought through comments often from people who are (hopefully) not in the industry and at best may only be qualified to evaluate seat comfort.

However not all PAX are telephone sanitisers, some are well qualified to have opinions on or even insights into the issues discussed. Some work with technology and with the use of technology by people at similar levels to you. Some may have friends and family in the industry. Some will be well informed across the training and resource management issues you face. Some may actually have useful input.

My own interests involve training people to use (and understand) the increasingly complex "labour saving technologies" that we find in science and industry today. This is of real significance to the airline industry today with workload and knowledge/understanding issues sometimes causing it all to hit the fan when the old swiss cheese starts to wobble.

I do wonder what you all think of the automation of flying today where as systems become more simple on the outside they may become far more complex on the inside making it harder to understand what the plane is doing or complaining about now. And we certainly have had some very tragic outcomes as a result.

Is it getting harder for under-experienced or under-trained pilots to cope when push comes to shove?

Unfortunately flying is an industry which is seldom measured by its daily successes of which there are millions but by its few failures.

Anyway, for those of you who are doing the "good work", thank you and keep it up.