PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA Strikes again!
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2012, 02:11
Arm out the window

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
The impression I get from my limited understanding of the Kiwi scene is that their CAA operate from a position of 'we'll work with you to get the job done safely', promoting education, fostering the passing on of good gen and so on (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, Kiwis).

On the other hand, it seems our guys are hell bent on not developing a good working relationship of mutual respect with the aviation community at all, but setting up an adversarial 'them and us' situation. Why, I don't know.

Sure, there are roadshows and all that jazz, but the mistrust that has built up between CASA and the aviating person on the street seems very, very strong.

I would dearly love to see CASA move away from this legislative, corporate monster they appear to be at the moment and become a fair-dinkum mentoring and facilitating organisation, leading from the front as far as safety and standards go. I see this starting with a strong push to work with the flying schools and be involved right from the word go in every pilot's development as a believable and approachable group of experts who know what they're talking about and don't hide behind a smoke screen of legalese.

They still need to carry the big stick and take strong action where it's required (as apparently didn't happen in the Hempel case, discussed at length elsewhere), but with that, set the example to operators by being at pains to show they are on the same side as legitimate business and private aviators who want to do it right.

I may be going off half-cocked here if the thing about the Day VFR syllabus isn't true. If it is, then whoever at CASA is driving the pursuit needs a kick up the arse.