PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Go-around after engine failure in light twin
Old 29th Dec 2002, 11:25
bookworm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A and C

I apologise for my use of the word "daft". It was unnecessarily emotive.

Nevertheless, I disagree with you.

I see little point in writing about what a lightly loaded aircraft will do on a day when the pressue is high and the temp is low.

This is a thread about aircraft performance at the legal maximum weight at an airfield that has the temp and pressue at the WAT limit.
But it's not. Neither in the thread leading up to your statement nor in the statement itself do you qualify your "a light twin will NOT go around from ILS minimums on one engine" line. You make it sound as if it applies at any weight.

To take an example, my own aircraft manages a lamentable 150 fpm at MTWA, even at ISA sea level. I wouldn't dream of attempting a go around below 600 ft. With just me on board at the end of a journey, I get at least three times that. To "crash" in preference to a go around in an aircraft capable of more than 400 fpm may be your call, but it's not mine.

In answer to your question, I aim to reach ILS DH at no less than blue line speed (91 kt) anyway. It's not hard to lose the extra few knots required in the half mile from there to the threshold. Flying a single engine ILS, I'd probably fly at 100 kt to DH anyway. Though it's not ideal, most ILS-equipped runways are long enough for that to be fine.