PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Go-around after engine failure in light twin
Old 29th Dec 2002, 10:22
formationfoto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sycamore and Dutch
The 800 mtr strip is my home base and one which I have regularly practiced single engine approach to land, and on singles engine off to land (simulated). So I knew what to expect as I had practiced it many times. The time spent trying to free the feathering mechanism (to get to unfeather and to restart the engine) was all spent at 2000 ft overhead the field from which a full engine out glide could be achieved.

Oh yes forgot to mention that I also had a test pilot with me so my confidence in achieving the landing safely (which incidentally I did with around 200 mtrs of paved runway to spare - an a day with a helpful 15 kts of head wind) was not entirely the result of blind faith in my own abilities.

Had I regarded this as beyond my experience or close to the margin for the conditions / aircraft I would indeed have elected for a lengthier runway and more options.

One of the advantages of a relatively short runway for regular operations is that you get used to handling the aircrast in those conditions.