PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter training for injured ex-military?
Old 27th Jun 2012, 14:18
Bubblecopter85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear All,

Many thanks for taking an interest in 'Wings for Warriors' and the work we are doing.

I am the Director/Founder of the charity and so if there are any questions please email me direct at [email protected] or call me direct on 07760 154074.

I usually find it more accurate to go direct to source to quash any rhumours. That said, I thought I'd shed some light.........

I started the charity with a man, who is now a very close friend of mine named Billy Sewell. Billy was shot multiple times in Afghan, lost a leg, shattered his pelvis and lost 87 units of blood (approx ten times normal body volume).

His dream had always been to fly helicopters and so I arranged it. We then took it further before carrying on to help others.

To all the ney-sayers out there I will tell you this with 100% conviction.....SOMETIMES A DREAM IS ALL A PERSON NEEDS! Are we trying to help these guys live or just exist?

Yes jobs are tough etc etc, however a few years ago people were telling me not to bother too. I wonder if I'd have done half the amazing things I have today if I'd listened to them?!

And yes, we do network down on their behalves as we 'build them up'. One of my guys is already working as a flight instructor and the others have paid ground crew work whilst they train.

There is no legal obligation for the boys to pay anything other than donate their time and emotion. Wings pays me no wage and certainly I am not a training organisation. I am a flight instructor who is using my skills and expertise to help others, instead of feather my own nest.

If in doubt, I am also governed by trustees, which include Billy's Wife (representing family interests and fairness), a Chief Police Officer (representing moral integrity) and a senior Commando Doctor (medical interests and pyschological wellbeing).

I will continue to dedicate myself to these men and women for as long as I draw breath. Any help we can get is always appreciated and goes DIRECT to the boys, not into the Director's golfing fund (I hate golf).

Please visit www.wingsforwarriors.org.uk for any more information you may require.

Alternatively, if you're still not convinced, come and talk to me in person.

Thanks for your time.

Mark

Mark Radcliffe
Director
Wings for Warriors
07760 15407