PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AME scholarships in Melbourne.
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2012, 13:29
jas24zzk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question for a question?

So you do this diploma, then you have to do an apprenticeship to qualify to do anything? then you still have to do the exams to add the L to the AME ??

Do you get credit to shorten the apprenticeship time??

eg. I'm in the auto industry. If i take on an apprentice that has done an approved Pre-Apprenticeship course (the approved one is 9 months full time) I am required to start them on 2nd year wages, and their time is shortened to 3 years.

In your case, if you start your apprenticeship after you finish your course you will be 20? In some industry awards, when you turn 21 you may be eligible for minimum adult wage. Good for you, but not for the potential employer. Something for you to check. Some apprenticeships are covered by the Adult Apprenticeship subsidy, which is $100 per week. It doesn't cover the difference, but sure can aid you in securing the job, if it is applicable to your trade, and you can point it out to a prospective employer.

One thing I am seriously interested to know, is how this course was presented to you as an option, and what 'promises' the future held if you did the course.

Good luck

Jas