PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Whats the most outrageous thing you've done with an aeroplane?
Old 29th Dec 2002, 08:43
Hairyplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outrageous things in a plane

Hi Inspector!

Come on - whilst this is an anonymous forum it probably doesn't take much working out who is involved - plenty of clues in the locations, postings etc. Sufficient for the CAA - who certainly do trawl these forums - to 'mark your card'.

I suppose one could post in the vein of 'it wasn't me but guess what somebody I know did'.

I am sure we will see plenty of funnies as well as some scares.

This could be a very interesting thread!

When I was a young cop in Swanley of all places - back in 1973 - I dealt with a minor road accident. The driver of one of the vehicles involved was a bloke by the name of - not sure of the spelling - Mike Devyea.

Anyway - he was a flying junkie, I was a budding but broke junkie who could just about afford some balsa wood for a free-flight model (I learned to fly eventually in 1975).

He took me flying in a C150 out of Biggin Hill - I think the club was The South London Aero Club(?).

He was a charismatic bloke - a flying junkie in every sense.

There was no further contact after that .

Can anybody tell me where he is now? I would love to return the gesture.

Anyway - the next thing I saw was a skit in the national paper about him. He actually decided to fly under the London Bridges to draw his flying junkie habit to the CAA pleading with them to shred his licence!

This I am sure they duly did.

In the text, from memory because I regret losing the cutting in one of many moves, he describes how he had hocked everything to fly and had to sell his textbooks and other flying stuff just to pay for the 'bridges' flight.

Mike - if you are out there please get in touch!

On a final note - you can actually order a neat pair of pewter 5280ft wings from at least one of the pilot supplies shops so presumably there is sufficient demand from 'qualified' and 'anticipated' recipients of this 'Mile High Club' badge??

Now this has got nothing to do with my excellent autopilot, my ability to keep a good lookout despite distraction and the fact that my seats do go back quite a way...

So - lets see some more ' I know a bloke who....' stories!!

HP