PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter training for injured ex-military?
Old 27th Jun 2012, 06:33
phil_the_drill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello again all

After posting my other "thank you" message earlier, I came across some private messages that I didnt know I had. After reading them all, I'm having some doubts now.

I wont specify who sent me the messages or what they said specifically, but the common thread was along the lines of "its a very tough market, employers want 1000's of hours experience, mostly on turbines and especially for air ambulances/police, wanting 500/1000 hours of twin turbines and there is no way an ab-initio newly qualified pilot with 0 working hours is going to get a job, despite spending upto £80,000 on their training" and I had 2 other comments of the lines of "some people will do anything to prop up their training business and that registering as a charity and getting other people to pay for ex-soldiers training is a new one on them, they are selling a dream and the guys in training will have a rude awakening after their family, friends and miliary buddies have donated, raced and parachute jumped to raise funds to help their loved one and then be totally unemployable, whilst the training school move on to train the next batch of hopefuls"

One commentor stated that a CPL licence in the UK costs around £45-50k and wonders where the £80k quoted figure comes from?

I just dont know what to think. Would appreciate comments?