PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AME scholarships in Melbourne.
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2012, 05:21
Moschetti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AME scholarships in Melbourne.

Good afternoon Pprune,

To start with I'd like to tell you a bit about myself. I'm 19, I've completed year 12 and am in my first year of an Advanced Diploma of Engineering (Aerospace) that goes for two years. I have worked at McDonald's and got 5 years worth of experience there before I left to move down to Melbourne and study for what I believe to be my future career; aircraft maintenance.

I've been doing well in the course, and although it's still not over, I though I should get to researching jobs within the industry, how to get your foot in the door and what my offers will be like. I've been searching for a couple of months now and I have been filling in application forms here and there. Contacting some people within the industry and trying to get an apprenticeship by travelling over every website I can find that recruits AMEs.

Of course, as someone with no experience I've gotten absolutely nothing, but I've kept searching.

Today, I found PPRuNe (I have no idea how I didn't before). And I've been reading the AUS/NZ forums for the past 4-5 hours before making this post. I've gained a lot of information and my current feeling is, and I'm sorry to be so crude, holy ****, I ****** up.

From what I've read, it is nearly impossible to get an apprenticeship, even though there is a shortage of AMEs. The pay is barely enough to pay the cheapest rent imaginable (I imagined it would be low as it is an apprenticeship, but what people have said on the forums makes me think I won't be able to afford my one room apartment that I share with my partner). I've also heard that you get treated like **** and you don't get paid nearly enough considering the pressures.

Of course, I'm pretty shell shocked. I am a tinkerer at heart, I'd like to think I'm a fairly smart fella, and I love aircraft. It was basically my perfect job, but now I fear I won't be able to gain entry.

If anyone out there is a anyone offering apprenticeships or who has previously offer apprenticeships, I would love to hear from you, as your advice could really help now.